Eating Out Survival Guide! Part I
Its is easy and convenient and for many of us, it is a staple of our week! Here are a few simple tricks to keep yourself on track while enjoying a meal at a restaurant.
- Take a look at the menu before you go! – Many menus are now available online so you can take a quick glance and make your dining decision before you get there! Remember there may be a trapping set for you with a flyer for the Double Dutch Caramel Apple Dumpling Pie ala mode on the table. Stay strong my friends!
- Eat a small snack before you go!– Have some almonds or low sugar yogurt will help ward off the tenancy to over eat.
- Drink water before and during the meal!– Studies have shown that drinking water before eating will help you feel more satisfied sooner. Avoid the sodas, the extra sugars are the devil.
- Check out how the food is prepared! – You can often times get the same meal but have the protein broiled or grilled. This will take a ton of calories off your plate!
- Order your meal first! – Jump to the head of the line. It is easy to let your friends influence your eating decision by ordering something off the chain first.
- Avoid all you can eat buffets!– Bad news here. If it is there…it is easy to fill up your plate.
- Coffee instead of dessert! – Avoid all the sugar and be able to sit and relax with your friends.
- Ask to have a healthy alternative– See if it is an option to substitute a veggie for the fries!
- Ask for your dressings on the side!– Lots of hidden sugars and calories in dressings. Use your fork and dip for the flavor and lower calories.
- Skip the bread and the chips! – I know it is hard but when you are seated, just ask for no bread and chips. Too easy to fill up on the bad stuff.